BabySigns.com - Sign Language for Babies

Custom Search

Friday, October 16, 2009

Help! I Need Daycare.

You look in the yellow pages, you search the internet, and you drive past a ton of daycare centers on a regular so who would think the search would be so difficult.  Finding a suitable daycare for your special little one can be the most difficult search of your LIFE!  Not just anyone can care for a special needs child.  It takes patience, the right environment, and the know how to handle unique situations that will arise.

I've run into the daycare problem many times.  My most recent search occurred a couple of months ago when I landed my dream job.  While my son typically attended AbilityFirst, a facility specifically for special needs kids, it wasn't going to work out due to their pick up time of 6pm.  I would never make it on time to pick my son up so the search began.


I've done the "corporate" daycare thing and most times they are ill equipped.  I found my son many of times, sitting in the middle of the floor rocking with no social interaction.  And let's not mention the cost.  RIDICULOUS!  So then I tried a babysitter type deal.  This worked out wonderfully for quite a while because it was a 2nd job for them.  They were trained because they worked as a instructional aide and one to one aide.  However, I soon found that very little interaction was occurring.  Since they were in the home, sleeping on the couch and watching TV became an issue.  Then they requested more money but I thought to myself "Why would I?"  Another thought, I could find a home daycare that would have social activities, loving warm environment, etc. and I could pay less than the babysitter.

So I searched and got recommendations from other day cares, parents, teachers, therapists, family and friends.  A daycare provider I contacted informed me that she was not equipped but she knew someone who had the experience.  She emailed me the contact info and the rest is history.  It is a small setting, new daycare, but the owner has worked for the district and has familiarity with children with special needs.  My son loves her dearly and I do too.

My suggestion for parents is:
  • Ask people you know for recommendations
  • Maybe there is a retired or out of work family member or friend that can provide care
  • Ask instructional aides or school personnel if they are available 
And when you find a place, make sure:
  • They have some knowledge or direct experience with the special needs population
  • Visit the facility when open, bring your child with you, and let your child and the provider get a feel for one another
  • Conduct an interview and divulge all important info to see if they are willing to handle unique situations.  This includes telling them the bad stuff (for example my son had some behaviors and is a diaper digger)
  • Make sure they have plenty of activities to stimulate your child
Also read Care Options for more helpful tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

webcounter